We had the honor of receiving three awards from The Florida Trust for Historic Preservation in 2017.
The Government House Museum, Saint Augustine was awarded Meritorious Achievement in the Field of Restoration/Rehabilitation.
“In 2011, the University of Florida Historic St. Augustine, Inc. started a multi-phased rehabilitation of Government House, a 1935 U.S. Post Office and Customs House with a long history tracing its roots to 1598 as the site of headquarters for the Spanish Governor of Florida. With partial funding from the Department of State, Division of Historical Resources, State of Florida, the project was completed over five years at a cost approaching six million dollars.
The project preserved the building, restored many historical elements, became code compliant, and modernized its infrastructure while creating flexible spaces for academic and public educations uses. The building was repaired and preserved to a state befitting its location in the National Historic Landmark St. Augustine Town Plan Historic District, with all work completed while the building remained open and occupied. The building is visited by 250 people/day plus millions more who walk past it prominent location”. FTHP
We were asked to replicate the exterior masonry/coquina finish from the 1930’s and the interior plaster restoration. We worked for Charles Perry & Partners; Jacksonville and the absolute best project superintendent we’ve ever had the pleasure of working with Coley Pitt.
The George Adderley House in Marathon, Florida Keys
Outstanding Achievement in the Field of Restoration/Rehabilitation
“The George Adderley House is a rare example of early 20th century masonry vernacular architecture in the Florida Keys outside of Key West. The building’s tabby-like walls and hip roof are more typical of the architecture of the Bahamas, George Adderley’s birthplace and childhood home. The house is significant for its Bahamian characteristics, which are unusual in the middle keys, and as an example of how clack Bahamian immigrants adapted to Key Vaca’s isolated environment.
In 1992, the Florida Keys Land and Sea Trust began a restoration of the George Adderley House at the Crane Point Hammock, often called Adderley Town. His house is the only remaining Adderley Town Structure. Previous repairs dating to the 1950s and 1960s were removed, which took the exterior walls down to their unfinished state. These were then built back, taking care to protect original fabric, including preservation of intact conch shells. The lime plaster finishes were installed to match the photographic evidence of similar Bahamian tabby structures, as well as on site physical evidence. The end result is an accurate restoration of this valuable, rare, vernacular tabby structure” FTHP
We did this project located at the Crane Point Museum & Nature Center for architect Bert Bender & Associates of Key West. The modest home was built in 1903 (before Flagler’s overseas railroad) using tabby construction. We repaired and restored the lime, coral and shell finish by hand just the way Mr. Adderley had done. After Hurricane Irma ripped through the Keys, we contacted the director at the museum Charlotte Quinn to inquire about the building she said, “The grounds of Crane are destroyed but the Adderley House is perfect!”
Master Craftsman Award
This award had not been given out in many years and Randy had no idea that he was to receive this until his name was announced. Randy was extremely honored and very proud to have our son Cody by his side.